TOXIC HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Health & Safety and other Kid topics.

TOXIC HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS

Many seemingly harmless household products, such as table salt and aftershave, are toxic if ingested in a large-enough dose.

Keep these products away from children.

Vitamins: Ingesting just 15 of chewable children's vitamins can sicken a 25 lb child.

Nicotine: Eating one cigarette, three cigarette butts, a small handfull of chewing tobacco, or half a piece of nicotine chewing gum is enough to harm a child.
Leading to vomiting, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, breathing difficulty, abnormal heartbeats and seizures.

Salt: One to two teaspoons ingested by a 25 lb. child can cause irritability, lethargy, and possible seizures. More than 1 1/2 tablespoons can be fatal.

Nutmeg: One to three whole nutmegs, or 5 to 30 grams (about 3/4 tablespoon) of ground nutmeg, can produce redness of the face, increased heart rate, dry mouth, confusion, hallucinations, drowsiness, upset stmach, and vomiting. Symptoms occur three to eight hours after ingestion.

Mouthwash/Aftershave/Perfumes: Three mouthfuls of cologne containing 90% alcohol can cause vomiting drowsiness, or even coma in a 25 lb. child.

ALWAYS CALL THE LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER FOR THE REQUIRED EMERGENCY PROCEDURE IF YOUR CHILD HAS INGESTED ANY POTENTIALLY TOXIC SUBSTANCE.

Parents Magazine March 1992

   

Comments

Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.



Name:


URL: (optional)


Comment:


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Kid Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!


Guru Spotlight
Sherril Steele-Carlin