Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Family Tips and other Kid topics.
Here are 10 tips on talking to your kids on tough issues.
1. Start early. Respect your children's ideas and concerns from an early age.
2. Initiate conversations with your child. Be sure to open a variety of subjects.
3. Listen to your child. Really, try not to be judgmental, they are learning.
4. Address any fears. Being open and honest about what you can do to help.
5. Create an open environment. Turn off the TV at dinnertime, and avoid distractions.
6. Communicate your own values.
7. Try to be honest. Relay your ideas and tell them why you feel that way.
8. Be patient. Your child may have to think things over and discuss the subject again at a later time.
9. Use everyday opportunities to talk. Be open to those long drawn out stories about what happened on the schoolyard today. Your child will learn you are interested in their life.
10. Talk about it again. And, again. And again if necessary.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|