Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Arts & Crafts and other Kid topics.
A small shovel
String about 10 inches long
A short stick
A small stone
Old crayons or candle stubs
A clean, empty coffee or apple-juice can
An heavy pot
1. Dig a hole in the sand about 4 inches wide and 6 to 8 inches deep.
2. Tie one end of the string to the middle of the stick. Attach the stone to the other end of the string.
3. Under adult supervision melt the crayons and candles. Half fill the large can with candle and crayon stubs. Place the can in the pot.
4. Half fill the pot with warm water, and bring to a boil. The wax will take about 20 minutes to melt. As the wax melts you can add more crayons and candles. The wax should never be more than half filling the tin.
5. Using a potholder, remove the pot and carry the melted wax in the can to the sand hole.
6. Carefully pour the melted wax into the hole in the sand and lower the string into the middle of the wax with the rock weighing it down.
7. Allow the wax to cool and harden. (This will take about 6 to 8 hours.
8. Gently ease any sand away from the top rim of the hardened candle and lift the candle out of the hole.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|