Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Meals & Snacks and other Kid topics.
Please be sure children are under adult supervision for this activity.
Here's another way to satisfy your sweet tooth by experimenting with water.
(Prepare this recipe with your adult partner. To avoid a steam burn, don't put your face too close to the pot. Wear oven mitts.)
You will need
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
Piece of thick string, wool, or pipe cleaner
Spoon to hang the string from
1. Heat the water in the pot until it boils.
2. Stir in the sugar gradually until all of it has dissolved. (The mixture will become a thick syrup.)
3. Pour the syrup into the glass jar.
4. Tie one end of the string to the middle of the spoon. Rest the spoon on the jar rim so that the string hangs into the liquid.
5. Leave the jar on a counter for a few days. What happens?
6. As the mixture cools and the liquid evaporates, some of the dissolved sugar comes back out of the water in the form of crystals.